Nile Cruise, Luxor, Edfou Temple & Temple of Kom Ombo

Day 5

Overnight we sailed from Luxor to Edfou, so this morning we got up at 6:40; which was much better than the other morning. Again Lisa wasn’t feeling too good, so I went down to the dining room alone and had breakfast. I came back to the room with a couple of pieces of toast for Lisa, but as soon as she smelled them it made her sick. We got ready and met the rest of our group downstairs for 7 am. This morning we were off to visit the temple of Edfou, Magic reminded us again that we would be taking a horse and carriage ride to the temple and that we should only pay 1 dollars per person for the ride there and back and that we should only give the money to the driver only after we get back and are out of the carriage.

Our group lined up on the pier and Magic our tour guide talked to the drivers and got all the carriages lined up for everyone. The carriage ride was pretty neat and wasn’t too long; it was about a 10 minute carriage ride. It was a really neat experience and it’s amazing how the horse pulling the carriage isn’t afraid or scared when a bus passes only inches from their noses. We were riding in the carriage with another couple who happened to be from India; and they commented that if they didn’t know they were in Egypt they could mistake this for the Indian country side.

Horse Drawn Carridge Ride to Edfu Temple

Horse Drawn Carridge Ride to Horus Temple

We arrived at the temple and waited for the rest of our group to show up. Magic then led us closer to the Edfou temple and found some shade along the visitor center and told a story while using our tour group as actors; he did a really great job and turned an otherwise confusing story into one that was understandable. Next we headed into the visitor center and sat down and watched a quick video on the Edfou Temple; it was a national geographic film so it was short and really well done. After the video we entered the temple and Magic led us through and stopped us every now and again to tell us about a story on the wall or to point out an important part of the temple.

We came to one part of the temple where there was about a 100 people crowding around to see this one room of the temple. I wasn’t even sure what it was; I must have missed the description when Magic was giving it (Temple of Horus). I managed to squeeze through and get a couple of photographs but it definitely wasn’t worth it once I got up there.

Edfu Temple, Edfu Egypt

Horus Temple, Edfou Egypt

Magic showed us a few more highlights of the temple and gave us some free time to look on our own and take photographs just like all the other temples. I can’t speak for Lisa but the temples were all starting to kind of be the same to me. Don’t get me wrong, each one is unique and has its own story and they are all amazing but they all kind of consist of the same thing; there is really only so much information a person can take in. Lisa and I walked around and shot a few photographs, then we headed back towards the meeting point pretty early and most of the group was there as well.

After the temple we boarded back on the ship and within no time we were sailing again on the Nile, this time to the Temple of Kom Ombo. We finished our first tour pretty early so we had most of the afternoon to ourselves. Lisa was still feeling a little sick so she went to sleep while I went up on the main sundeck and started writing this travel journal. Lunch was at 12:00 am, though Lisa still needed more sleep so I headed down to lunch by myself.

I brought back a plate for Lisa after lunch. Lisa joined me up on the sun deck after lunch and we sat with Ron and Janice who we met. We arrived in Kom Ombo later in the afternoon and disembarked for our tour of the temple.

Inside Edfu Temple, Edfu Egypt

Inside Horus Temple, Edfou Egypt

The temple didn’t have a visitor’s center so Magic stopped us just within the entrance gates and gave us the history/story behind the temple. The temple was used as a modern day hospital (more details). This temple also had the Egyptian calendar carved into the wall. The Egyptian calendar was 360 days plus 5 days for celebration; so 365 days in total.

After a few short history lessons by Magic we got in line to see the medical instruments they used inscribed on one of the walls in the temple. Well there was a queue that looked like it was going to take forever, plus there was no exit; so whoever went in had to come out the same way which made for a hot, long and crowded wait; which was no fun. I wasn’t quite sure what we were going to see, but when we got there, I was pretty disappointed I could have done without seeing it.

We looked around the temple a little more and then were given some free time to explore and take photos. A bunch of us had decided earlier that we were going to go down to the market which is at the docks at every stop and try to buy some Egyptian clothing for that night. We were going to have an Egyptian barbeque that evening so Magic encouraged everyone to dress up – the dinner was then going to be followed by a dance.

Kom Ombo Temple

Kom Ombo Temple

So a few of us headed to the market a little earlier and decided we were going to try to barter as a group instead of individuals. Ron ended up doing most of the bargaining for us and we all ended up getting some Egyptian clothing for 45 Egyptian pounds ($8 CAD).

When we got back on the ship it was almost time for supper, so Lisa and I showered up and changed into our Egyptian clothing then headed to the top deck for an Egyptian barbeque. We were one of the first couples up and grabbed our plates right away. We were soon joined by the rest of our group. We ate our supper and enjoyed the night cruise on the Nile; it was really great. The air temperature was nice and comfortable; not too hot or not too cold – the food was good and everyone was enjoying themselves. We stayed up on t he deck a lot longer than most and talked with Ron, Nancy about their previous vacation spots. They had done a lot of traveling so Lisa and I were very interested. I think Ron convinced Lisa and me to visit Nicaragua for our next vacation, his description and experience sounded like paradise.

About 10:00 we headed down to the main deck to check out the dance that was happening in the lounge. Quite a few people were already dancing it up on the dance floor so Lisa and I joined in.

Egyptian Barbeque aboard Nile Cruise

Egyptian Barbeque aboard Nile Cruise

Not long after we started to play a few dancing games, the first game we played involved grouping up with other people on the dance floor when the music stopped and a number was shouted out – whatever that number was, was the amount of people you needed in your group. It wasn’t long before Lisa and I were out, but that was alright as we sat on the side lines and cheered on the rest of our group who remained in the game.

The second game we played was only for the women. All the women had to go up on the dance floor and dance around some spoons that were on the dance floor, every time the music stopped the women had to pick up a spoon and whoever didn’t have a spoon had to get off the dance floor. At one point during the game, one of the male tour guides led the girls off the dance floor and into the lobby in a mambo line; the music then stopped and all the women had to come rushing back to the dance floor to pick up a spoon it was pretty funny to watch. We had two members in our group in the remaining 4 girls, but neither one ended up winning.

The next game of the night was for the men. Only one guy for each group was allowed to participate; so Malcolm another Kiwi in our group volunteered. The men had a string tied around there waist which was connected to a potato which was dangling between their legs; there was then another potato on the floor which they had to swing to knock the other potato that was on the floor across the floor. Malcolm ended up winning; at least our group won one of the competitions.

After the games Lisa and I danced to a few more songs with the rest of our group and then called it a night around 11:30.

Leave a Comment